Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fear

I’ve been asked several times today whether the ad in the Democrat was paid for by UFF-FSU, and the answer is no. But I do understand why the ad was signed by Concerned FSU Supporters. I can’t count how many people have told me that they fear speaking out, and I totally get it.

Since the day the PSAC voted 15-9 to interview only one political candidate, I’ve heard that there are those who fear that if the powerful State Senator who is the presumptive front-runner is not named as president of FSU, then there will be political and economic retribution from the Legislature. I’ve also heard from folks who fear that speaking out against a sham process or speaking up about his voting record (which is a matter of public record) could result in personal and departmental retribution if he is appointed president (this was also evident by faculty members who explained why they remained anonymous in the UFF-FSU petition for a reset of the search). Is this really what it has come down to? That faculty members who care deeply about this university and want what’s best for our students  and this institution have to fear retaliation for speaking up? This is a very sad indication of the politicization of higher education in the State of Florida and reeks of blackmail, not merit. Shared governance, which is fundamental to higher education institutions [1][2], is extremely difficult without trust and respect, and a lack of trust and respect leads to a toxic environment. Fearing the person who wants to lead the university is a really big flashing neon sign that something is terribly wrong.

So should I be working on my cover letter?